viewing images

From: Al Gilman
Subject: viewing images
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 08:29:00 -0500 (EST)

  From: address@hidden
  X-Personal_name: sean
  Subject: LYNX-DEV downloading help

  I am running lynx through kermit on a power mac. I understand
  how to download inline images, but i cant figure out how to view
  them.  When i go to download, i can either: save to disk, use
  kermit to download to local terminal, or use vmodem to download
  to local terminal.  where do i go from here?  by the way, i am at
  the university of rochester, and i am running the whole thing
  over a unix system.

To view non-HTML documents, you need a viewer program that works
with type of file you want to view.

If your connection to the Unix computer is via a modem, you
probably want to get programs for the popular file types that run
on the Mac.  Then you will use Kermit or vmodem to download to
the local terminal and go outside Kermit to open the file you
have brought to the Mac.

If your connection to the Unix computer is by an X implementation
such as eXodus from White Pine, you can user Unix viewers.

In the long run, you can install a personal mime.types file that
automatically switches into download mode when it encounters
a particular type of file (as indicated in the HTTP headers).

--
Al Gilman