Re: LYNX-DEV v2.6FM update

From: root
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV v2.6FM update
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 00:00:07 -0500 (EST)

Foteos Macrides wrote:

> 01-27-97
[...]
> * Modified the code for submission of form content with TYPE="image" NAME-ed
>   INPUTs that have a VALUE (or ALT) to "fake" a 0,0 coordinate pair, as when
>   a VALUE (or ALT) is absent, instead of sending a single name=value pair.
>   Requests that using a name=value pair in such cases to indicate that the
>   submission was from a text client or GUI with image handling turned off
>   be included in the HTML specifications keep falling on deaf ears, so we
>   may as well "fake" something closer to what the CGI scripts are expecting,
>   and hope that the script interprets 0,0 as an indicator that the user did
>   not see the image and make a conscious choice within it.
[...]
>                               Fote

Perhaps sending -1,-1 would be better, since that way you would get an error
message rather than some random page if the CGI isn't lynx aware?

In any case, it is rather a mute point, since if the writer of the page
wished to be lynx-friendly, using a client-side imagemap would be the way to
go.

I also have two questions, one on a slightly related issue:

1> What is the best way to provide text names on the page you get from a
[USEMAP] link?  Ideally, you could still use the standard "put the <map>
block at the end of the page" method and non-lynxes would ignore the text
names.  Using ALT=... on <AREA> tags would probably be the most sensical
method.

2> Is it possible to have lynx execute <applet>, etc. links.  That is,
provide a images-links like thing for <applet>,<object>,etc. that would
execute the content as if it was a normal <a> link.

 -- James Mastros
;
;