Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx - what tags does it support?

From: Ron Woodall
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx - what tags does it support?
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 06:59:38 -0500

Dear Sirs:

        My appologies if my earlier post was insulting. It was furthest from
my mind. I wished only to obtain information that would allow the rest of
the world to consider Lynx in the preparation of their pages. I, like many
other page developers constantly get complaints from Lynx users saying that
pages are unreadable by Lynx users. I was attempting to rectify this
problem. By putting Lynx on the compatibility charts of my pages, perhaps
others can prepare pages accordingly.

        In spite of all of the complaints, it is still impossible to find
out what Lynx does, and does not support. It appears that this is a case of
"I have the information therefore I have the power."

>does 'feature-rich' include putting critical information in the form of
>javascipt?  Netscape, MSIE allow you to turn javascript off, and I know
>quite a large number of people who have done so (usually after seeing
>their first 'crawler').

        If my pages include JavaScript (and there are examples of JavaScript
uses there), then it is only because those inclusions have developed into
adequate usage as to be notable. I do not provide a JavaScript reference,
only HTML.

>As for the information, I've found WebTVs html-reference to be a fairly
>accurate source 'compendium of html' giving the use and originator of each
>element.  Even elements not supported by webTV are at least listed and
>marked as such.  It's even readable by all browsers.  I suggest you follow
>webTV's lead in presenting material like this.

        Thank you. Yes, the WebTV site is excellent and I am attempting to
contact WebTV to include their tags and uses as well. Does this imply that
<nosmartquotes>? The Compendium differs from WebTV in that I try to include
_all_ tags, some sort of explanation and examples of their uses, whether
they are currently supported by your browser or not. I was led to believe
that Lynx did not support tables hence I suggested a "feature rich" browser
simply because the entire site is based on tables. I have experimented with
dozens of formats and this is the only one that can present the hierarchy of
tags clearly.

>  Why? You should be writing for the minimum. Only your examples need
>have the feature  rich set.

        In a minimalist world I would have to agree. Thank God we don't live
that way. If we did, we wouldn't have the 'Web - we would still be dealing
with pony express. However, I do not dictate to the rest of the world. I can
only attempt to provide information. If that information can make life more
enjoyable for the Lynx community then sobeit. It does not appear that is
about to happen soon.

--
Ron Woodall
address@hidden