Re: LYNX-DEV Anyone using Solaris 2.5.1 out there?

From: Robert Bonomi
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Anyone using Solaris 2.5.1 out there?
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 07:54:25 -0600 (CST)

+ From: "T.E.Dickey" <address@hidden>

[.. snip ..]

+
+ > > # Solaris 2 ncurses using Sun's unbundled C compiler
+ >                                   ^^^^^^^^^
+ > I'm not sure of the meaning of `unbundled'.
+ nor I - SunOS 4.x comes with a compiler, SunOS 5.x (Solaris 2) doesn't,
+ afaik.

'bundled' means "comes with the O/S".  a la sunOS 4.x.

'unbundled' means "have to purchase separately".

Solaris 2.x does not include a 'bundled' compiler, Thomas is correct.

Sun does _sell_ a C compiler for Solaris 2.x. (for that 'small minority'
of their customers that -really- need one. :)    The price for the "Sun C"
compiler is moderately outrageous, and per-user licensed.  Thus, 'gcc'
is far-and-away the 'most common' compiler for the Solaris 2.x environment.
Therefore, the necessity of the 'unbundled' description, when referring
specifically to the compiler sold by Sun for Solaris 2.x.

;
;