LYNX-DEV Re: Java update

From: Barry Rountree
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: Java update
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 14:26:12 -0500 (EST)

> 2> Is it possible to have lynx execute <applet>, etc. links.  That is,
> provide a images-links like thing for <applet>,<object>,etc. that would
> execute the content as if it was a normal <a> link.
>
>  -- James Mastros

If you mean "Java applet" then, yes.  I was looking into this as a
possible MS project, but became dissuaded because

        A)  The simplest thing to do is pop up a "Java Viewer" and handle
                the applet in the same way image viewing is handled.  This
                is a simple and not very interesting project.

        B)  The Fun thing to do would be implement a byte-code interpreter
                in lynx and translate the grahics into curses/slang.
                After a survey of what applets exist and what they do, I
                decided that there just wouldn't be too much use for a
                critter like that.

So, as far as the project goes, I'm now looking at implementing a
Javascript-like language in lynx.  I'll see how far this idea goes....

Barry Rountree
Florida State University

;
;