Re: LYNX-DEV Java update

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Java update
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 06:50:49 -0500

>> So, as far as the project goes, I'm now looking at implementing a
>> Javascript-like language in lynx.  I'll see how far this idea goes....

Why invent yet another language?  If I were going to do this, either building
in support for JavaScript, or using a current embeddable language such as
Tcl, Python, Perl, seems like the approach I would use.  Designing a language
that only can be used by Lynx browsers seems less than optimal.  Lynx
is unlikely to gain the community that JavaScript has.

>However, it may be good to start first with a way of managing
>several "windows" into lynx ( it could look like different pages
>you could switch between ): One of the most important
>object used by javascript is called 'window'.. and javascript
>would not be the same without it..

Does Slang provide multi-window support?  I suspect that ncurses does.
Perhaps multiple windows could be handled in curses/ncurses/slang
compiles of lynx.
;