Re: LYNX-DEV Solaris 2.5 curses problem compiling lynx 2.6

From: Eli's redistribution point
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Solaris 2.5 curses problem compiling lynx 2.6
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 97 15:46 EST

Jeff Zucker <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm having troubles compiling Lynx 2.6 on Solaris 2.5 with gcc.
>   /opt/gnu/bin/gcc -g -DFANCY_CURSES -DUNIX -DSVR4 -DSOLARIS2 -DCURS_PERFOR
>   MANCE -DUTMPX_FOR_UTMP -DUSE_DIRENT -DLOCALE -DHAVE_TERMIOS_H  -I../WWW
>   /Library/Implementation -DDIRED_SUPPORT -DOK_TAR -DOK_GZIP -DOK_UUDECO
>   DE -DOK_OVERRIDE -DOK_PERMIT -I..   -c  LYClean.c
>   In file included from LYCurses.h:50,
>                    from LYClean.c:3:
>   /usr/include/curses.h:321: parse error before `__va_list'
>   /usr/include/curses.h:322: parse error before `__va_list'

Either add an #include for <stdarg.h> (or <varargs.h>) OR change the
function prototypes to use void* for the last argument on those
two lines.

The void * hack has the advantage of being a more general solution,
as some curses programs may use a varargs.h which doesn't agree
with the stdarg.h stuff.

It is times like this that strict type checking really gets on my
nerves. K&R C is so much better at DWIMNWIS (Do what I mean, not
what I say). There was a case at work where I added a single C
function to an other entirely C++ project because I couldn't figure
out the proper cast to get a really ugly memory reference to work.
(It was something like a char* -- which should have been a void* --
pointing to an array of unions of structures of which I wanted a
char** member from one of the structures. Like I said, ugly.)

Elijah
------
please do not CC me when replying to the list

;
;