Re: LYNX-DEV html validator... can't find url

From: Subir Grewal
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV html validator... can't find url
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:54:07 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 30 Jan 1997, Laura Eaves wrote:

:I tried running the html validator at
:       http://ugweb.cs.ualberta.ca/~gerald/validate/
:on an html file that lynx was complaining about.
:I copied the source of the offending page to my home directory / file.html
:then went to the validator web page and entered
:       file://localhost/u/l/leaves/file.html

That's because the validator tried to find /u/l/leaves/file.html on
ugweb.cs.ualberta.ca (which is what it considers "localhost" to be).  You
should put the file in your web-space (possibly /u/l/leaves/public_html )
and then try to use the URL http://www.voicenet.com/~leaves/file.html

:I also tried running lynx -trace on the file and got lots of output
:that I don't know how to interpret (yet).
:I ran grep -i for words like 'error', 'illegal', 'bad', etc.
:There were lots of lines that said
:SGML: Illegal end tag </OPTION> found.
:but nothing else suspicious.

Yuo've probably run across an HTML form with bad markup.  Lynx must have
closed the form early (possibly as the outcome of a spurious/unecessary
</OPTION> or other unexpected end tag) and then the rest of the form was
parsed out of context.  If you run it through the validator, it'll
probably give you a whole slew of error messages.  Perhpas when Lynx
encounters Bad HTML, it should create a link in the info page that
when activated will validate the page at KGV (since that validator accepts
GET and is easier to digest).  If we opt to do this, we might want to
clear it with Gerald first.

address@hidden  +  Lynx 2.6  +  PGP  +  http://www.crl.com/~subir/
Scott's second Law:
        When an error has been detected and corrected, it will be found
        to have been wrong in the first place.
Corollary:
        After the correction has been found in error, it will be
        impossible to fit the original quantity back into the
        equation.

;
;