Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx autoconfigure (Was: baby step 2)

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx autoconfigure (Was: baby step 2)
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 08:24:51 -0800

Jim Spath wrote:

> The sendmail binary should also be locatable by config, in concert
> with finding if we're on SCO (i.e., MMDF, yuk).

Off-topic, but... the primary thing wrong with MMDF is that it isn't
widely used.  Because of that, it isn't well understood.  Starting from
scratch, MMDF is easier to understand, much more secure, and equally
capable as sendmail.  Unfortunately, hardly anyone is starting from
scratch -- they already know sendmail, and for some unfathomable reason,
continue to use it even though a new "you can be root any time you want"
bug is announced at least once a month.

In any case, SCO has supported sendmail for a long time, so do not write
your configure script to assume MMDF if it detects SCO.  (If you get to
a stage of wanting people to test your configure scripts, would you
please mail me directly?  I am only reading the Lynx-Dev list
sporadically, and I have a particular interest in testing portability
tweaks.)

>Bela<
;
;