Re: LYNX-DEV: blind users & difficult-lynx

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV: blind users & difficult-lynx
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 03:23:27 -0500 (EST)

> From: address@hidden (David Combs)
> 1. The FIRST time lynx is run from a given directory,
>    ask "are you blind?"  (then write a file, with lynx-version
>    number, so it won't get asked again, but WILL be asked
>    again for a NEW version of lynx).
>
>    If "yes", then "am now setting NUMBERED LINKS on: ok?", etc.
>
> 2. Make NUMBERED LINKS the default, for everyone.  Will probably
>    be obvious that you can also type in the number as way to
>    go somewhere.

If you want to autoconfigure for use by a first-time blind user, why not just
use .lynxrc.  Have lynx save the version info there.  On startup, if .lynxrc
isn't there or has different version info, ask if the user wants to configure
for use with a screen reader.  (This could include setting numbered links as
well as -show_cursor.)  Of course, ight now SHOW_CURSOR is only defined in
lynx.cfg, not .lynxrc.  Is there a reason not to put it in .lynxrc?
Are there other options to set?

While you're at configuring for special needs, I like numbered_links
and -show_cursor, but also need colors redefined...

First time sighted users might also like some of these features.
In fact, would it be a good idea for first time users to be asked about a
selected set of options (such as EDITOR, etc)?  After responding to these
questions, a message could be printed saying that options could be further
modified via the (O)ptions menu, or by editing .lynxrc.
(I prefer editing .lynxrc, as it contains detailed comments about what the
options mean.)

When I first started using lynx, the first thing I did
was read the man page.  This was short and didn't list
nearly all the commands and features, but was a good place
to start.  (In fact, lynx.man is only read by first time users.
After that, they go to the web pages for info.)
Rather than have lynx configure itself for new users, why not put a
paragraph in the manpage.
Just a thought.
--le
;