LYNX-DEV 'bad html' -- more info

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: LYNX-DEV 'bad html' -- more info
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 09:07:22 -0500 (EST)

Re: more on the problem with the qvc order page.
I think there may be a problem in lynx.

I copied the html to a local file and tried it with lynx2-6FM.
Here's what happened...

Original file: Lynx complained 'bad html -- use -trace to diagnose'
while loading the page.  The output appeared ok, but when I pressed the
"ADD TO ORDER" button, it said 'bad html -- no form action defined'.
I tried lynx -trace, and got lots of output, but when I searched for things
like 'error', 'illegal' or 'bad', it showed nothing.

At jspath's suggestion, I downloaded htmlchek (an html validator) and ran
on the file.  It found one error -- some missing quotes -- which I added
but that didn't change lynx's behavior.

I then looked at the FORM def in the html.  It contained
: ...
:                 <FORM METHOD="POST" ACTION="/scripts/ordlist.pl">
: ...
: </FORM>

I moved the '<FORM ...' stuff up a few lines to before the start of a TABLE,
changed ACTION="http://www.qvc.com/scripts/ordlist.pl";, and ran lynx again.

It still complained about bad html when loading the page, but this time when I
pressed the "ADD TO ORDER" button, I got the following page:

>                             [INLINE] [1][ISMAP]
>
>     Sorry, we are unable to process your order online at this time. The
>     Internet browser you are using does not support our Checkout Session
>      ID. To place your order by telephone, call 1-800-367-9444 to speak
>                   with a customer service representative.
>                                [2]Continue 1

The '=' command gave me:

> Lynx Version 2.6FM
>
> File that you are currently viewing
>
>    Linkname: QVC/iQVC Shop/Error Condition
>        Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 12:51:31 GMT
>    Post Data:
> ColorSize=A24025%3A012%3A671%3ABlack%3AX-Small&amp;SelectedQty=1&amp;ADDTOORDER.x=0&amp;ADDTOORDER.y=0&amp;ProductId=A24025&amp;ShortDesc=S.G.+Sport+Full+Skirt+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++&amp;CreditTerms=++&amp;DefShipMeth=GR&amp;DefShipChg=0000422&amp;ItemPrice=0003500&amp;Division=97&amp;Department=230&amp;Class=23H
>    Post Content Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded
>    Owner(s): None
>        size: 7 lines
>        mode: normal

I backed up to the original page, hit "ADD TO ORDER" again
and this time it let me proceed.
I answered a few questions and then got the following page:

>                             [INLINE] [1][ISMAP]
>
>    We don't recognize your Internet browser, which means it may not allow
>           a secured transaction. If you prefer, you can call us at
>                [2]1-800-367-9444 or do one of the following:
>
>      * [3]I'd like to place my order online, without encryption.
>      * [4]I think my browser supports encryption, and I'd like to place
>        my order online.

I selected [3] and completed the order (which I promptly called in
and cancelled, as I didn't want the item...:-)

[ Note: I didn't mention it gave me some cookies along the way.  I don't know
  if that has any significance. ]

Questions:
* Should lynx be handling the original page?  (It passed htmlchek.
  Beyond that, the only thing I changed was to move the "<FORM" line.)
* Does lynx handle encryption?  How could this be communicated to their server?

I'm still a newbie at this stuff and don't really know what I'm doing.
Just passing it along.
Let me know what you think.
Their webmaster never answered my original mail, and I haven't sent more.
I wanted to pass it by this list first.
--le
;
;