LYNX-DEV more on 'bad html'

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: LYNX-DEV more on 'bad html'
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 23:26:06 -0500 (EST)

I looked at the trace output more closely and noticed the following:
> SGML: Start <TABLE>
> SGML: Start <FORM>
> SGML: Found </TABLE> when expecting </FORM>. </FORM> assumed.
> SGML: Start <INPUT>
> HTML: INPUT tag not within FORM tag

When I moved <FORM to before <TABLE, I got
> SGML: Found </CENTER> when expecting </FORM>. </FORM> assumed.

I moved </CENTER> down a few lines and lynx stopped complaining about the page.

Is this type of html common in web pages?
Shouldn't lynx be able to handle begin/end specs out of order?
I noticed the 'bad html -- no form action defined' message came
from LYMainLoop.c, but I didn't look at the code much beyond that.

If anyone wants a copy of this file, let me know.

Also -- on cookies:
I mentioned in my last mail that the first time
I hit the submit button, I got a page complaining about my browser, but the
second time it let me proceed.  Each time I hit the button, I was given a
cookie.  The cookie jar page then looked like this:

>                    You have reached the Lynx Cookie Jar Page
>
> Lynx Version 2.6FM
>
>      NOTE: Activate links to gobble up cookies or entire domains, or to
>      change a domain's 'allow' setting.
>
>    [1]Domain=www.qvc.com (Cookies allowed via prompt.)
>           [2]IQVC_ID=000032224302247QVC
>           Path=/
>           Port: 80 Secure: NO
>           Maximum Gobble Date: (End of session.)
>           [3]IQVC=OK
>           Path=/
>           Port: 80 Secure: NO
>           Maximum Gobble Date: Fri Dec 31 18:59:59 1999
>
> References
>
>    1. LYNXCOOKIE://www.qvc.com/
>    2. LYNXCOOKIE://www.qvc.com/d9c00
>    3. LYNXCOOKIE://www.qvc.com/da0d8

(dumb question n:) Did the cookies have something to do with my getting through
the second time?  (dq n+1:) What are cookies for?

It wouldn't be the end of the world if the qvc web page remained inaccessible...
Just thought I'd pass the info along in case the same thing happened on other
pages.  Thanks.
--le
;
;