Re: LYNX-DEV Displaying graphics

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Displaying graphics
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 14:12:56 -0500

I appreciate knowing how to reconfigure Lynx on the GNU machines.
This way we can solve the problem for our site.  But the problem
is not just on our site.

Lynx is free software, and it can be included in free operating
systems such as GNU, or the various Linux-based variant GNU systems.
But xview is not free, so it cannot be included in any free operating
system.

When a free operating system includes Lynx, every user who looks at
a jpeg in Lynx is guaranteed to have the same problem that happens to us.

Some users can "solve" the problem easily by getting and installing
xv--those who are permitted to use xv, and who are on the Internet.
This is probably the first thing those people will think of--which is
unfortunate, because it means encouraging people to use a non-free
program instead of a free one.  Taking for granted that a non-free
program is installed, sends a strong though inarticulate message.

The other users who are not on the Internet, or not allowed to use xv,
might not know another approach.

So could you please change Lynx to use xview, or some other free program,
instead of xv?

Are there any other non-free programs that Lynx will invoke?

--
We are holding the second free software conference in San Francisco on
February 20-21.  We hope you can come.  For more info, see