Re: LYNX-DEV Displaying graphics

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Displaying graphics
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 17:03:50 -0500

I've already forwarded the info to our sysadmin volunteers for how
they can correct the situation on our machines.  But what happens on
our machines is a minor matter--it only affects a few of us here.

I think the issue that really matters is what to recommend to users in
general.

To be sure, users can change the configuration for their own sites;
they can specify a different viewer--*if* they know of another one,
and if they care strongly.  But most people will go with the flow.  So
the default recommended by the Lynx distribution is an important
question.

It's true that we could distribute a modified version of Lynx--it is
free software, so anyone can do that.  But I feel this would be
treating you in a rude way, and I don't want to be rude.  A solution
reached together is much better--that's what I'm aiming for.

Practically speaking, divergent versions have disadvantages for the
users.  Also, only a small fraction of users would get Lynx from us,
and each other distributor of a free system would probably have to
make the same kind of change (but we would surely all do it
differently).

Isn't it much better to change the central Lynx distribution to
recommend, as the default, a program which is free?

--
We are holding the second free software conference in San Francisco on
February 20-21.  We hope you can come.  For more info, see