Re: LYNX-DEV 'bad html'

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV 'bad html'
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 21:30:04 -0500 (EST)

Laura Eaves <address@hidden> wrote:
>dhill suggested I ask this on the list.
>He says https is illegal to distribute with lynx as it might go overseas.
>Well, I'm not overseas and don't plan on sending it there  Does anyone know
>how to compile lynx to work with https? + where to get whatever libraries are
>necessary?
>There is only one ref to https in INSTALLATION, relating to setting up lynx to
>work with proxy servers and firewalls.  I, being a newbie to networking jargon,
>still am not sure what that means.
>All I want is for lynx to be able to handle more sites I surf into...
>Thanks in advance for any info.

        I've been distributing a uuencoded zip with the SSL hooks
as a small replacement file set to people who send me a statement
that they are a US or Canadian citizen and do not intend to export
it or use it in a manner which violates applicable US Export Laws
or applicable copyrights.  I just finished updating that for the
v2.7 pre-release, and its SSLeay.announce is appended.

        Alternatively, Tom has a daemon, described in the SSLeay.announce,
which allows you to use the vanllia Lynx and let the daemon handle the
Secure Socket Layer on Lynx's behalf.  That's fine in most cases, though
your intranet communications with the daemon are not encrypted.  Subir has
links in "Lynx links" for Tom's stuff, which you should look at.

                                Fote

                        Lynx v2.7 SSL Support

        Lynx has HTTPS, SNEWS and CONNECT support via patches or
replacement files for the general distribution.  It currently is based
on the SSLeay crypto and SSL libraries, whose distribution and use
are restricted by licenses and state and US laws and regulations as
described in:

   Linkname: SSLeay: SSLeay and SSLapps FAQ

        The original implementation of HTTPS support in Lynx was done
by Lou Montulli (address@hidden) for lynx2-3-7, using the RSA
encryptions library and Netscape SSL library.  Fote Macrides adapted
that to lynx2-3-FM, and used it as a model for adding the SNEWS support.
Fote also added CONNECT support (for tunneling HTTPS and SNEWS requests
and documents through proxy servers), based on discussions with Ari
Luotonen (address@hidden) about the procedure and his patch for
implementing CONNECT support in the CERN proxy server.  The hooks for
SSL support subsequently had to be removed from the general Lynx
distribution to avoid problems related to US Export Law restrictions.

        Tom Zerucha (address@hidden) subsequently adapted the hooks for
use with the SSLeay libraries.  He had been maintaining them as a patch
set, and had been making them available to qualified recipients for
application to the Lynx general distributions.  He now offers code for
a daemon which can be used analogously to a proxy by a hookless Lynx
image to handle the SSL protocol on the hookless image's behalf.  The
code for that daemon is available to qualified recipients who fill out
and send Tom:

        Linkname: SSL Application Distribution Authorization Form

        This SSL hook replacement file set is Fote's adaptation of Tom's
earlier patch set for including hooks within the Lynx image, and is for
use with Lynx v2.7.  The SSL hook replacement C files are:

         HTAAUtils.c, HTFormat.c, HTNews.c and HTTP.c

in the lynx2-7/WWW/Library/Implementation subdirectory.  A replacement
for the top-level Makefile for Unix, and lynx2-7/buildssl.com and
lynx2-7/WWW/Library/vms/libmakessl.com files for VMS, also are included.
Read the Makefile or .com files for more information about building an
SSL-capable Lynx.

        Updates of the SSL hooks are needed *only* if one or more of the
above four C modules (or Unix Makefile or VMS .com files) change.

        Note that to avoid patent problems in the US, SSLeay should be
made using RSAREF.  SSLeay has documentation on how to do this.  Also
see the comments on SSL_LIBS in the Makefile.
;
;