Re: LYNX-DEV more on the newspost problem

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV more on the newspost problem
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 22:36:36 -0500 (EST)

Ismael Cordeiro <address@hidden> wrote:
>Larry W. Virden, x2487 wrote:
>
>> However, when I try
>>
>> lynx nntp://genetics.upenn.edu/perl.porters-gw
>>
>> I get an error but if I try
>>
>> lynx news://genetics.upenn.edu/perl.porters-gw
>>
>> I get the newsgroup.  Anyone know what is missing?  I'm still using
>> lynx 2.6FM from Jan 27- I'll update today.
>
>Both formats work here with Lynx2.6FM 0127 and 0129, and with Lynx 2.7.

        I'm not sure what you mean by work.  Both will get the listing
from genetics.upen.edu, though only the first is valid according to
RFC1738.  However, Lynx will *post* messages only via the nntp server
that's used by the software to which you defined INEWS, which should
be the default nntp server to which you pointed NNTPSERVER.  Lynx
will act, itself, as a gateway for retrieving listings or articles
from any nntp server, and convert them to an HTML stream for display,
but for posting it simply helps you create a message, which is then
passed to your site's news software or the mini inews program to
actually post, and that software will use your site's designated
nntp server.

        Perhaps Larry's problem is that the site's nntp server requires
that it, itself, carry perl.porters-gw to allow posting to that group.
In any case, the setup of the nntp server for Larry's site needs to
be looked at, or, if he's using the mini inews program, whether he
defined everything for it properly before compiling it.

                                Fote