Re: LYNX-DEV more on the newspost problem

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV more on the newspost problem
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 08:10:00 -0500

> If you were talking about *posting*, then Fote's crystal clear instructions
> in, for example, userdefs.h predict an error:
>  * added to the path.  Also note that posting is supported only for news:
>  * (not nntp: or snews:) URLs, and only via the default nntp server defined

Ah, now there's useful info.  See, I never thought to read a .h file to
resolve the problem.  Thanks for the extra info.

>    but for compatibility with other clients, Lynx allows inclusion of
>    host and port fields in news URLs, which properly should be used only
>    in nntp and snews URLs. If not included in news URLs, Lynx will use
>    the nntp server pointed to by the NNTPSERVER environment variable or
>    configuration symbol (see lynx.cfg), with default port :119. A host

And I missed this one.  Sigh.  Sorry about that.

> Defining NNTPSERVER:genetics.upenn.edu in lynx.cfg and then creating the
> link `news:perl.porters-gw' works as expected, too.
>
> I'm also having to use lynx2-6FM [96/01/27].  That's on sunos4.1.3 with
> a slang build.

This however, won't do the general user any good - there are lots of
NNTP servers available and forcing them to use only one is all right for
now, but shouldn't lynx be flexible enough to handle at least an attempt
to post to others?
;