Re: LYNX-DEV more on the newspost problem

From: G. Del Merritt
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV more on the newspost problem
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 10:01 EST

>This however, won't do the general user any good - there are lots of
>NNTP servers available and forcing them to use only one is all right for
>now, but shouldn't lynx be flexible enough to handle at least an attempt
>to post to others?

At least as of INN 1.4*, many of the "lots of NNTP servers" only support
posting by "local" and/or semi-authenticated users.  News sort of like cable
TV; you can watch any of the stations there, but unless you are licensed to do
so, you can't put your own programming out except through your "local" cable
station (and based on their terms).

If you have a list of truly "open" NNTP servers that allow unrestricted
posting, I'd be happy to hear about them off of LYNX-DEV.  I bet they make the
spammers/e-junk mail folk happy...

--
Del Merritt                                                  address@hidden
IntraNet, Inc., One Gateway Center #700, Newton, MA  02158