Re: LYNX-DEV Genuine internationalisation.

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Genuine internationalisation.
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 10:11:14 -0700

Jonathan Ridler <address@hidden> writes:

>Fote wrote:
>
>> 02-03-97
>> * Today's distribution is a pre-release of v2.7.  The projected official
>>   release date is 02-15-97.  All header, help and documentation files,
>
>Now for all you US-centric folk that means that on 03-Feb-1997, Fote
>said the release date should be 15-Feb-1997.  For the rest of the world,
>however, it means that on 02-Mar-1997, Fote said the date would be
>02-Huh-1997.  I suggest that lynx be genuinely internationalised by
>ensuring that all dates in all code, documentation and discussion be in
>dd-mmm-yyyy format.  What do you say, folks?

With all respect to Jonathan's views, I beleive that a more appropriate
date format (if one is desired) would be yyyy-mm-dd (all numeric) to help
facilitate sorting. If the dd-mmm-yyyy format is used, it should be
specified that the mmm be an alphabetic representation of the month (jan,
feb, etc) but then this isn't truely internationalized either as month names
vary with language. I beleive that the yyyy-mm-dd is the only data format
that does not cause confusion internationally.

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,