Re: LYNX-DEV Having LYNX try to run XV and still be FREE (gnu-FREE)?

From: Tom Zerucha
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Having LYNX try to run XV and still be FREE (gnu-FREE)?
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 09:43:14 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, David Combs wrote:

> We on lynx-dev mailing list would like the upcoming version
> of lynx www-surfer to be distrubuted also on the gnu "source cd".
>
> Richard Stallman (free software foundation) is concerned that
> because lynx will try to run xv (assuming the user has the package)
> when he, the lynx-user, tries to explicitly view a picture on
> the net (or something...)
>
> Richard's potential problem is that xv is not "free", really.  Or is it?

I think xloadimage/xview is MIT/GPL "free" (the manpage points to the
source but gives a brief description), handles the most common file
formats, but is less flexible.  It should be included with most complete
distributions of X11.

Otherwise I would simply disable the mime type for the image types and let
users download or read the manual.

address@hidden
finger address@hidden for PGP key

;