Re: LYNX-DEV Genuine internationalisation.

From: Jonathan Ridler
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Genuine internationalisation.
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 10:26:18 +1100

I said:

> I suggest that lynx be genuinely internationalised by
> ensuring that all dates in all code, documentation and discussion be in
> dd-mmm-yyyy format.

Paul Gilmartin replied: (others replied with variations on the theme too.)

> I thought the most formally approved standard was yyyy-mm-dd.  For example:
> Linkname: Summary of International Standard Date and Time Notation
> by Phil Dodd, Unisys Australia
> Australian Standard AS 3802-1989 and Internation Standard ISO 8601:1988
> specify numeric representations of date and time. The information in
> this document was extracted from these two standards. The international
> standard notation representing the year, month, and day is:
>                            YYYY-MM-DD

My original suggestion was not intended to restrict the form to dd-mmm-yyyy.
It is the one I take for granted most of the time, but there are a multitude of
legitimate formats.  Whatever format is used, however, must meet two fundamental
requirements in my view:

        - it must be unambiguous in all parts of the world.
        - it must have a four digit year, to prevent even a hint of Year 2000
          problems.

One other desirable attribute is readability.  For example, 1997-02-06 is
somewhat more readable than 19970206.

Jonathan.
;
;