Re: LYNX-DEV typo in Lynx2-7 LYLocal.c ?

From: Ismael Cordeiro
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV typo in Lynx2-7 LYLocal.c ?
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 16:31:11 -0500 (EST)

Thanh Ma wrote:

> > GNU tar doesn't have the -e option and chokes when it finds one. When I
> > compile Lynx I replace -xfe with -xf and -cfe with -cf in LYLocal.c.
>
> Removing the -e should do no harm.

Yes, but leaving it there does. I compiled Lynx 2.7 twice leaving -xfe and
-cfe and replacing them with -xef and -cef. Here are the results of trying
to tar the about_lynx directory and to untar about_lynx.tar:

-cfe
----

/local/bin/tar: can't add file about_lynx.tar : No such file or directory

-cef
----

/local/bin/tar: illegal option -- e
/local/bin/tar: Unknown option.  Use '/local/bin/tar --help' for a complete
list of options.

-xfe
----

/local/bin/tar: /tmp/ismael/lynx2-7/about_lynx.tar not found in archive

-xef

/local/bin/tar: illegal option -- e
/local/bin/tar: Unknown option.  Use '/local/bin/tar --help' for a complete
list of options.

It seems that GNU tar takes the "e" after the "f" as the argument of option
-f.

Ismael