Re: LYNX-DEV more on the newspost problem

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV more on the newspost problem
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 20:57:30 -0500 (EST)

Nelson Henry Eric <address@hidden> wrote:
>> > flexibility you want, too.  It may not be all that hard to do.
>>
>> It seems that it shouldn't be too hard - just set NNTPSERVER to the
>> current NNTP server before spawning whatever news poster is
>
>Keep forgetting about setenv().  Thanks.
>
>Two points I'd like to verify,
>       1) This method assumes the news poster will be checking
>          for the environment variable NNTPSERVER?
>       2) From within Lynx, one would have to spawn the shell, `!',
>          in order to set NNTPSERVER?

        One of the examples in the Perl5 mailing list article whose URL
I just posted is:

    ::::::::::::::
    /home/wraeththu/tchrist/scripts/pprn
    ::::::::::::::

    #!/bin/sh
    NNTPSERVER=genetics.upenn.edu
    DOTDIR=$HOME/upenn
    export NNTPSERVER DOTDIR
    exec trn perl.porters-gw

In theory, you can do that kind of thing and make the last line:

    exec lynx news://genetics.upenn.edu/perl.porters-gw

and if your INEWS pointed to trn, that should work too, but as I
warned, empirically that strategy doesn't work with all news
software that is currently in common use, so it would become an
"It doesn't work for me!" FAQ if we tried to get by with a quickie
by building the equivalent into LYNews.c.

                                Fote