Re: LYNX-DEV more on the newspost problem

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV more on the newspost problem
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 08:06:14 -0800

> From address@hidden Fri Feb  7 20:37:03 1997
> Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 22:36:43 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)" <address@hidden>
> environments to be tested under.
<snip>

> I would vote *against* more Lynx development as a news reader, however.
> There are already more news readers than you can shake a stick at, and the
> thing I like about Lynx's method is that it is fast and simple.  Pine can
> post, read, sort, update .newsrc, grow bananas, etc.
>
> Fote, we could use your considerable talent to expand on "cookie storage"
> and the other Web tools of tomorrow (leave Usenet to the Aolers).

Agreed!

I mean, I use trn, a program resulting from years of work.  Why
in the world would I ever want to use Lynx for newsgroups,
when I've got trn?

Admittedly, I've never tried the news stuff in Lynx.  Maybe
someone can tell me WHY it is that I would prefer to do
news-stuff in Lynx, and if it sounds good, I'll try it.

It seems to me that there is SO MUCH hassle just keeping
up with the netscrapes ("keep up with": make it so that
we can KEEP reading the TEXT part of www-pages), that
any diversion of thought, etc, to news-reading & posting
is, well, down a rat-hole.

Unless eg blind people are unable to browse news-groups
any other way than via lynx -- then it MAYBE makes sense
to have a CRUDE news-reader.

Someone please educate me on why I am wrong.  THANKS!

;
;