Re: LYNX-DEV [patch] New feature: 'G' goes to a parent document

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV [patch] New feature: 'G' goes to a parent document
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 21:20:20 -0800

Tomasz J. Cholewo wrote:

> The following patch causes that pressing 'G' (uppercase) key goes to a
> ``parent'' of the current document.  The parent is determined in this
> case by removing a segment of URL's path after the last slash.
> Repetitive applying of 'G' goes to the ``root'' document which URL has
> no path part.  It works also in an obvious way in DIRED mode.
>
> I found it very useful for browsing results of web searches when lots of
> documents have changed names, don't exist or don't include links to
> their parents.

Whew.

I've been thinking for a while that I'd like to be able to hit "g", then
hit some special key which causes it to enter the current document URL
into the line editor buffer.  So if you are currently looking at
http://foo.bar.org/some/path/yabba.html, you would hit "g", then some
control key, and you would see:

  Edit the current document URL: http://foo.bar.org/some/path/yabba.html_

Then you could hit backspace a few times to do what your patch does.

Advantage: could also do all sorts of other edits.  Change it to
zabba.html, or arrow backwards and change "some" to "other"; whatever
you want.

Advantage: doesn't consume another main-Lynx-screen command key.  Also,
I suspect, less code to implement.

>Bela<
;
;