LYNX-DEV Re: snews direct?

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: snews direct?
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 13:37:13 -0500 (EST)

Tom Zerucha <address@hidden> wrote to me instead of lynx-dev:
>lynx snews://secnews.netscape.com/
>
>works with the proxy, but not with the overlay hooks.  The latter says
>making NNTP connection and sits forever.  The former comes up with a very
>brief page with a 215, but does so in a few seconds.
>
>Accessing this, I see the Post URL, but it segfaults after I type in the
>name and subject.  I have not set anything in the userdefs or lynx.cfg to
>use a posting program
>
>Both are compiled for linux-slang with NSL_FORK, and no other changes to
>the Makefile
>
>(Since this is SSL specific, I am not posting it to lynx-dev - if you
>would rather it be discussed there, just mention it in the reply).

        As least as for as I am concerned, anything having to do with
Lynx code and associated documentation (except a personal request for
the SSL hooks patch, with a statement of US or Canadian citizenship
and no intent to do anything presently illegal with it) should be via
lynx-dev and it's archive service.

        I've been using snews://secnews.netscape.com/ as a testing
SSL-capable nntp server, since it has lots of dead news groups to
which I can post and read back my messages without bothering anyone.
It works flawlessly when I try it from here, so you'll have to track
it down on a system which does have problems.

        The crashes on post attempts were due to a stupidly unintialized
pointer in the code I added for seeking an Organization definition via
the commonly used enviroment variables.  It was fixed in last night's
update, and had nothing to do with actually posting the message.

                                Fote