Re: LYNX-DEV Mistake in koi8-r support, I think

From: Christopher R. Maden
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Mistake in koi8-r support, I think
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 19:32:43 GMT

[Andrey Chernov]
> And what is incorrect? Visual-only compatibility expected in this
> case and it looks like per your own words.

Lynx won't do anything wrong - the error was *solely* in the code.
And, if only Latin characters are available, Euml is definitely the
thing to use for IOcy.  However, Lynx tries to remain "ideologically
pure" wherever possible, and so in the interest of education, the
comments should use the name of the character being referred to, not
another character that happens to look the same.  Being Russian, you
undoubtedly know that, even if the Russian thing-that-looks-like-an-E
(IEcy or iecy) is transliterated as a Latin E, the Russian
thing-that-looks-like-an-E- with-two-dots (IOcy or iocy) is a
different letter altogether, best transliterated as "yo" or "io", not
as e-with-an-umlaut.  The comments in the Lynx code should reflect the
intent and the Right Thing To Do, so that others who wouldn't know
this can understand.

This is obviously not *nearly* as high a priority as fixing actual
code bugs, like the initial typo report.

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden                  One Richmond Square
DynaText SIT Technical Support        Providence, RI 02906 USA