Re: LYNX-DEV Re: continued problems with ssleay patches for zip

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: continued problems with ssleay patches for zip
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 20:37:58 -0500 (EST)

Tom Zerucha <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Sun, 9 Feb 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:
>
>> address@hidden (Larry W. Virden, x2487) wrote to me instead of lynx-dev:
>
>I use linux-slang with NSL_FORK, and both versions (proxy) and the overlay
>archive work at www.rsa.com.  Sometimes remote sites have problems, and
>will connect, but not continue.

        OK.  Then neither of us has a basis for guessing why Larry
is having a problem.  I don't know if Scott is testing the hooks on
his solaris.  I just looked, and didn't find an SSLeay library there,
so I guess not.  I don't want to mess around with installed libraries
myself on somebody else's system.

>>      I don't know.  I have no problem accessing the https stuff
>> at RSA, or anywhwere else, and now can both read and post to Netscape's
>> secnews SSL news server as well.  Has Tom tried the lastest SSL patch
>> set and had any problems?
>
>This is with the 2/9 set you sent me, as well as my proxy which I have
>only made one minor change in the advanced version since the release (this
>was in site name matching, WWW.RSA.COM == www.rsa.com and == rsa.com if
>the cert has the name of "rsa.com").

        Larry was talking about the built in hooks, and RSA doesn't
require client-side certs.

>>      Note that the people using a hookless Lynx with Tom's SSL
>> daemon should be able to just define snewspost_proxy and
>> snewsreply_proxy identically to their snews_proxy for that daemon,
>> but that hasn't been tested empirically yet, i.e., I'm waiting for
>> Tom to try it and let me know if it actually works.
>
>I haven't tried the post stuff (since I don't have a URL to point at), but
>the snews still works with the proxy.  I assume that snewspost_proxy would
>be "nntp://";.

        Yes.  As far as your daemon is concerned, sending an encrypted
POST command followed by the headers and body, and returning the server's
replies unencrypted, is no different from sending requests for listings
or articles and returning replies.  It would be nice, though, if someone
actually tried that new code before the 15th, in case it has a typo
or stupid error to which I'm blind 'cuz I see what I intended when I
look at it, instead of what's actually there.

        Try:

   Linkname: Newsgroup netscape.appfoundry.tools.next

if you want to read some of my test posts and followups.

                                Fote