Re: LYNX-DEV lynx2-7 (feb 9) newspost crash

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx2-7 (feb 9) newspost crash
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 21:24:52 -0500 (EST)

Nelson Henry Eric <address@hidden> wrote:
>> the lynx2-7 prerelease (feb 9), compiled for DEC/ultrix, crashes when I
>> try to post to a newsgroup on my local server (newshost.uwo.ca).  Posting
>> with inews was fine in previous lynx releases.
>
>Will it no longer be possible to post through a helper application such
>as inews?

        There's no point to that, Henry.  As I explained earlier, Lynx
already has a connection established with the nntp server, and the
spawned INEWS software must do that all over again, simply to send
the temporary file and exit.  It's much more efficient to have Lynx
send it itself.  Also, by making newspost and newsreply URLs real
URLs handled as registered protocols, that's much more efficient
that what was in the original posting code.  Moreover, you can now
use them fully equivalently to mailto URLs, e.g.:

<LINK REV="made"
      HREF="newsreply://foo.nntp.server/foo.gw"
      TITLE="Common access comment to the foo.gw news gateway.">

                                Fote