Re: LYNX-DEV [patch] New version of current URL editing

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV [patch] New version of current URL editing
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 08:01:48 -0800

> From address@hidden Tue Feb 11 20:20:30 1997
> Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 12:03:07 +0900 (JST)
> From: Nelson Henry Eric <address@hidden>
>
> > absolutely don't insist on binding of a 'goto a parent URL' feature to
> > 'g', '..'; as you remember in the first version I used the sole 'G' key
> > for this purpose.
>
> I'd sure hate to see the simple g)oto concept thrown out the window.
> `G' ([SHIFT]+g) would certainly be a better choice, since the point
> is _editing_ of the current URL, not _going_ to it.  Don't get me
> wrong, I do think you have a very useful idea, it's just that it is
> a different animal from g)oing to, and IMHO needs a different key
> binding. $0.02

I suggest again: aren't we running out of keys?

suggestions:

1:  Like emacs, vi/ex, etc, allow multiple-char commands -- of course,
    must be prefixed with something unique.   Vi uses ":" for
    "do this cmd in ex-mode";  emacs uses "meta-X" (ESC-X).

    No new concept involved.

2:  At same time, allow <number> prefix, for <repeat>, eg
    "5j" (vi-keys mode).

The reason I suggest these is that Lynx is no longer simply a
    one-purpose program, it seems.

Please: those who have an idea about this, pro OR con, please
    "post" them.  Thanks!

;
;