Re: LYNX-DEV Re: continued problems with ssleay patches for zip

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: continued problems with ssleay patches for zip
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 09:40:43 -0500 (EST)

Nelson Henry Eric <address@hidden> wrote:
>> No, I haven't been building the SSL version of Lynx because, as you surmised,
>
>OK, just to ask.  I'm a US citizen, but I live overseas.  Would someone
>letting me download, for my personal use, hooks to implement SSL be in danger
>of breaking the law?  If it's even a remote possibility, I'm not going to do
>it.  Answer off the list if you wish.

        I'm not a lawyer, and haven't found an answer to this which seems
independent of personal biases, but my understand is that:

        1) My sending the patch overseas would be "exporting" it, even if
           you are a US citizen.
        2) If you received it in the US or Canada, took it with you (e.g.,
           on a floppy) overseas, and made it available to non-US or
           Canadian citizens (e.g., on a multi-user system), you'd be
           breaking the US Export laws, since they apply to use, not just
           distribution.

                                Fote