Re: LYNX-DEV <base href> change hurts me badly

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV <base href> change hurts me badly
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 16:02:48 -0500 (EST)

"Christopher R. Maden" <address@hidden> wrote:
>Jason Baker is absolutely correct that <base> belongs in <head> in
>HTML Wilbur.
>
>In fact, <base> has *only* ever been allowed in head; even before HTML
>was formalized as an application of SGML, the <base> element was
>intended for use as an identification of the document as a whole; 80+
><head> elements in a document is a severely degenerate case, and that
>it ever worked as intended was purely luck.
>
>Before generating HTML documents, one should take some small amount of
>care to determine what various elements are for.

        1) BASE is a HEAD element in all of the IETF RFCs and IDs,
           in the W3C drafts and Recommenations, and in the HTML Pro
           DTD.

        2) The value of an HREF attribute in a BASE element is required
           to be an *absolute URL* in all of the IETF RFCs and IDs, in
           the W3C drafts and Recommendations, and in the HTML Pro
           DTD.

        3) As a form of "error recovery", Lynx will resolve a partial
           URL used as the value of an HREF in a BASE element.

        4) Anyone who refers to intentional "error recovery" as a "bug"
           has a bug in his/her understanding of WWW browser design
           objectives, and should fix the bug in him/herself.

        5) Anyone who uses a browser's error recovery as if it were
           a feature is behaving like a Netscape user.  This is
           unacceptible for Lynx users.

        6) The alert about an HREF in a BASE element having a partial
           URL as its value was included as an aid for correcting typos
           when generating HTML and looking at it be sure it's Lynx
           friendly.  It was not anticipated that anyone would ever use
           invalidly partial URLs as the values of BASE elements, plus
           invalidly put up to 80 of them in the BODY of an HTML
           document.

        7) I do intend to limit the number of alerts about partial
           URLs as the values of HREFs in BASE elements to once per
           document, since the overall Lynx User Community should
           not be penalized for the sins information providers.

                                Fote