Re: LYNX-DEV pop up menu question

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV pop up menu question
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 17:54:35 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden (Larry W. Virden, x2487) wrote:
>I am wondering if this is just me seeing this.
>
>Lynx pre-2.7 (this has been doing this for a while now).
>SPARC/Solaris 2.4/2.5.1
>ncurses 4.0
>Sun's compiler
>
>When I position the cursor on a form's popup menu, and press return, the
>menu pops up.  The terminal's cursor is positioned 2/3 or so down the displayed
>popup.  However, if I just press return, no change is made to the selected
>value.  If I press down arrow, the cursor moves to the first entry of
>the popup.  However, it's disconcerting to see the cursor farther down
>the popup initially.

        You'll be positioned on the OPTION value which had a SELECTED
attritute,  and that value will be displayed between the square brackets
when you leave the popup, and it retracts.  If you change the selection,
then that's where you'll be positioned when you invoke the popup, and
what will show when you leave and it retracts.  The selected option
need not be the first one in the list.

        I strongly suggest that you read about SELECT and OPTION in
any of the HTML specs, then look at the markup which causes the
behavior you describe.  When you understand how something is supposed
to work, and does work, it typically ceases to be disconcerting.

                                Fote