Re: LYNX-DEV copyright statement in lynx version info

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV copyright statement in lynx version info
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 19:00:36 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden (David Combs) wrote:
>It was just a suggestion, Al.  It did look a bit contradictory,
>that's all.  But it was all and well explained by that
>reply about linux and its situation.
>
>Wasn't trying to butt in.  But Fote did put it out on to
>the list, meaning, I thought, he would welcome any comments...

        You previously claimed:

                I do read law-school law-books for "fun"

What I suggest is that you read, seriously, what they say
about "copyright" versus "license", and try to understand
the difference between those two different things (Also,
try to figure out "What is the sound of one hand clapping?"
and make it while you're seriously reading and thinking. 8-).

        Two academic organizations, plus all who ever contributed
to Lynx, hold copyrights on one or another part or aspect of the
code and documention.  And it's all licensed without license fees.
That's the best guarantee for the Lynx User Community that Lynx
is, and will remain, freeware.

                                Fote