Re: LYNX-DEV text/html; q=0.000

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV text/html; q=0.000
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 19:38:56 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 13 Feb 1997, Hiram Lester, Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Feb 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:
>
> > "Hiram Lester, Jr." <address@hidden> wrote:
> > >Did anyone figure out what was the problem with Lynx 2.6 sending a quality
> > >of 0.000 for text/html in the Accept: headers?  At some point recently,
> > >they've installed 2.6 system-wide here, and the same thing is occuring on
> > >our mail server, but not on several other machines.  My copy of 2.7pre
> > >(from last week) doesn't exhibit the problem...
> >
> >     I've forgotten the site with an Apache server where this problem
> > showed up,

The Internet Movie Database

> > but it's WebMaster concluded that it reflect an SGI compiler
> > bug, presumeably when compiling src/HTInit.c, though details were not
> > provided.  Is your system that shows it SGI?

I remember some more of the details (some of this is from a private response
which was not cc'd to lynx-dev).  The SGI-specific problem was that the Lynx
distribution used different compilation flags for the .../src/ and the
.../Implementation/ parts of the sources.  Apparently this resulted in
floating point values not being passed correctly from files compiled in
.../src/ to functions from files in .../Implementation/.

Hiram, to check whether you have a similar problem you should insert a
trace statement in HTFormat.c's HTSetConversion() and check whether the
float values passed to that function are as expected.

> Forgot to mention, the site was www.talk.com.  I got a 406 error and
> something about appropriate resource not available.  I first thought it
> had to do with HTTP/1.1, but then I tried 2.7 and got cookies.  I
> managed to bring it up on another system with 2.6, and remembered this
> problem, and did a trace to see if that might be it, and sure enough it
> was sending text/html; q=0.000. <sigh>  I want to see if I can track it
> down before I notify the system people here of the problem.  If 2.7
> doesn't exhibit the problem, then maybe that will be something to use to
> encourage them to upgrade. :)

I believe that after the SGI problem was discovered, Fote changed the
flags for the sgi target (in one of the Makefiles) in his codeset.
So the problem should not be there now with 2.7 for SGI.  But other
systems may still have this (or a similar) problem.

   Klaus

;
;