Re: LYNX-DEV pop up menu question

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV pop up menu question
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 21:15:10 -0700

Larry,

I don't know that I am seeing the same as you, but it sure looks like I
would have expected it to. The default selection is "News" which happens
to be the third item down. It displays "News" in the field when viewed.
If I hit enter, the list pops open, and "News" (which is what was selected
before) is selected. In fact, "News" is right over the line the field was
on. If I hit enter now, the list closes and leaves news selected just as
I expect. If I, instead, arrow down, the selection moves to that item, and
if I then hit enter, that is the selected value. Still just as I expected.
If I het enter again, that selected value is still the highlighted entry in
the list, just as I would expect.

Is this what you are seeing? If so, what did you expect again? If not, tell
me again what you are seeing.

Note: My experiment was performed with the Feb 12 pre-release build for
Solaris2-slang and with the SSL code added in.

Whoa, wait a minute, hold the presses! I added a -popup to the command line
and saw this extra blank selection at the top of the list. Then I tried it
in (gasp!) Netscape, and it gave me a blank selection at the top of the list
too. This seems to result from the "hidden" field. I ran it through Webber
which accepted it as valid HTML 3.2. Seems to me that hidden fields should
not become visible.

Scott's speculation: I would guess that my Lynx is handling it correctly in
"normal" mode, but incorrectly displaying the "hidden" field with -popup. I
would further guess that Netscape is incorrectly showing it too. Finally,
I suspect that Larry's Lynx is getting the placement of the fields mixed up
due to the "hidden" field (he did say it was on the second item? Maybe it was
on the correct third, but the hidden field had it mixed up.)

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,
___________________________________________________| or in doubt,
Email: address@hidden (Scott McGee)         | run in circles,
Web:   http://www.slcc.edu/infotech/webmaster.html | scream and shout.
My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of the College. Trust me!

From: address@hidden (Larry W. Virden, x2487)

[snip]
Anyways back to on topic subjects.  I have a sample piece of html that
shows the peculiar behavior.  Perhaps, as you say, this is exactly the
peculiar behavior we want.  Shrug.  I never claimed it was a bug, just
something disconcerting.  I get a 6 entry popup shown.  The News entry
is selected (in inverse).  However, the text cursor is positioned at the
second entry.  If I press return again, the selected item is what is
set in the results, rather than the entry by which the text cursor is
sitting.   If I move the selection using the cursor keys, the text cursor
appears immediately _after_ the selection at this point.  It's only in the
original display of the selection that I see the cursor in a different
place.

<head>
<title>
test popup
</title>
<link rev=made href="mailto:address@hidden";>
</head>
<BR><!-- This line inserted by Scott McGee for readability without editing
the email message. -->
<form method=get action="http://www.altavista.digital.com/cgi-bin/query";>
<input type=hidden name=pg value=q>
Input value: