Re: LYNX-DEV: REpost of bug: can YOU duplicate it?

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV: REpost of bug: can YOU duplicate it?
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 06:03:46 -0800

> From address@hidden Thu Feb 13 15:21:35 1997
> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 17:17:10 -0500 (EST)
> From: Foteos Macrides <address@hidden>
>
> address@hidden (David Combs) wrote:
> >This is a re-"post" of this bug -- just in case it
> >somehow got lost before, or maybe required a
> >picture of the screen, which I now provide.
> >
> >The version I am using is dated (on netcom)
> >as 2300 yesterday (wednesday, 12feb97), -version "2.7".
> >
> >Someone please see if the behavior can be not necessairly
> >fixed but at least DUPLICATED.  Thanks!
> >
> >[...]
> >> Bug in "go down to next link-ptr":
> >>
> >> I did "v" to get up huge bookmark page.
> >>
> >> I have lines and rows both sete to 62.
> >>
> >> I wanted to see what ">" did vs <tab> when
> >> it got to the bottom of the page (I sort of
> >> expected the ">" to NOT go to the following
> >> page, from what I read in the Keys page).
>
>       It's not a bug.  What you are seeing is the expected behavior.
> You are using trial and error "learning" in lieu of reading and
> thinking clearly about what you read, and you need to correct the bug
> in the inferences you are drawing from the behavior you observe.
>
>                       Fote

Yes, Fote, I was indeed testing (playing with) <tab> vs ">",
just to see what
it did (I thought doc wasn't totally clear), which was when I
first noticed Lynx jumping prematurely to next page.

So I tried it AGAIN (I believe my original msg said this)
but THIS TIME using a simple "j" ("go down one line (vikeys)),
and it STILL showed the SAME effect, of rather than
moving the cursor one line (my intent), of going to the

Please, someone try this and tell me what happens:

  Do "v" to get long bookmarks page.

  Move the cursor down onto the next-to-last item on the
    current screen-full --
    BUT be SURE to move it there ONLY VIA doing a /-SEARCH to
    something ON that next-to-last screen-line.

  THE BUG?: NOW, do "j" (vikeys), so as to move the cursor down
    ONE MORE LINE, ie moving now to the bottom line on the screen.

  For ME, what happens is that RATHER THAN of going down to that
    bottom line, it INSTEAD "PAGES" to the NEXT SCREENFULL, even
    SKIPPING what was the final line on the prior page (the
    one I was trying to get to via the two-step process:
    /-search then "j").

  Note: I have 62 lines on my full-screen lynx display.

(Perhaps this "bug", like my problem with French accents
 a couple of months ago, is not a but, but something related
 to my using ancient 7-bit software ("tip") to connect
 to my ISP (netcom).  But I don't currently see how.)

 Am eager for explanation.  Thanks for bearing with me
 through all this email!

;
;