Re: LYNX-DEV lynx bug with netscape proxy2.5

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx bug with netscape proxy2.5
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 16:52:09 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 14 Feb 1997,  Kristen J. Webb wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I think this was also a bug with netscape proxy2.0, but the proxy server
> was so unstable, that we had to shut it down.  I just re-compiled lynx2.6
> from scratch after adding in the latest jumbo patch.  The problem is still
> there.
>
> Surfing to unusual sites is the esiest way to re-create the problem.
>
> Eventually, you can get to the error:
>
> __BEGIN_SCREEN__
> Error
>
>                                      Error
>
>        ______________________________________________________________
>
>      The requested item could not be loaded by the proxy.
>
>      Netscape Proxy is unable to locate the server: www.canaryweb.es The
>      server does not have a DNS entry. Check the server name in the
>      Location (URL) and try again.
>
>        ______________________________________________________________
>

>     Proxy server at alphaclp.clpgh.org on port 13311
>
> __END_SCREEN__

It appears you have problems with that proxy and/or DNS that go beyond
Lynx.

> Now, I can startup netscape and find the url through the same proxy server.
> But the lynx session never finds it.  If I quit lynx and restart, I will
> find the url.  It is as if lynx never retries when talking to a proxy server,
> it just assumes the url will never be found.  When I turn off proxy, lynx
> behaves correctly, finding urls on the second or third retry . . .

It seems what you want is just a way to make Lynx retry in the case that
your proxy/DNS don't find a host (when actually they should).
Well, have you tried ^R?

As far is Lynx is concerned, it *has* received a page from the proxy
(the error page quoted above).  That page will be kept in Lynx's memory
cache of (by default up to 10) documents, like other pages.

Maybe you can get (what I assume is) the desired effect - automatic retry
by Lynx if a link is selected a {second,third,..} time - by making that
proxy send a "Cache-Control: no-cache" HTTP header. (For these kinds of
errors)

  Klaus

;
;