Re: LYNX-DEV: Even bookmark-files need validation

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV: Even bookmark-files need validation
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 18:45:51 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden (David Combs) wrote:
>Thanks Larry.
>Thanks Fote -- mea culpa (again), bad bookmark file I think.
>
>(I had hacked a few lines into it, with a mistake).
>
>QUESTION: how to validate a file that is only LOCAL --
>   that is, for which I cannot give an address
>   for to a validation service (eg the two listed
>   at lynx Help).
>
>Are there any sites I can EMAIL an html file to?
>
>Thanks.
>
>(If there are such sites, maybe one could be added
> to the lynx help screen)
>
>Sorry for all the commotion.
>
>(yep, fixed it, works now)
>
>Still, would like emailable validation site, if anyone knows of one.

        The bookmark files created by Lynx are not valid HTML.  They
can be rendered as if they were, but will not validate.  When adding
bookmarks, a new LI is added at the bottom, and the UL block is not closed.
The files are not parsed by an SGML parser when removing bookmarks,
but are scanned by an ad hoc parser.  You can edit them in the sense
of deleting LI lines, rerordering them, or adding ones yourself IF the
spacing and casing are identical to ones created by Lynx.

        If you add your own markup to the bookmark files, it may or
may not screw up Lynx's ad hoc parser.  If you're not capable of
interpreting C code and figuring out what will or will not screw up
the ad hoc parser, you are ill advised to hand edit the bookmark files.

                                Fote