Re: LYNX-DEV text/html; q=0.000

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV text/html; q=0.000
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 22:50:51 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:
> "Hiram Lester, Jr." <address@hidden> wrote:

> >>[...]
> >Nope, the system exhibiting the problem is HP-UX 10.01.  The HP-UX 9.0x
> >systems don't seem to exhibit the problem.  [...]
>
>       Are you using the snake3 target?  That has a -Ae switch for
> the src compilations, but not for the implementation compilations.
> I have no idea what A is.  Seems like e should be used for both or
> neither.

I don't have acces to a HP-UX system to check anything, but below is what
I found in the comp.sys.hp.hpux FAQ.  I'm afraid it doesn't help much.

  Klaus

   Linkname: comp.sys.hp.hpux FAQ

------------------------------

Subject: 8.8  What's the deal with _INCLUDE_xxxx_SOURCE?

The ANSI standard clearly states what identifiers it reserves, and says the
rest are available to you, the programmer.  Many "important things" like
"ulong" are *not* specified by ANSI, so ANSI header files are not allowed by
the standard to define them.  Each standard supported by HP-UX (POSIX1,
POSIX2, XPG2, XPG3, XPG4, AES, etc) has its own set of reservedidentifiers
and header files, and the convention is to require "-D_POSIX_SOURCE" (et al)
to enabled their respective namespaces.  Since HP could not predict what
future standards would come along and claim more header files and identifiers,
it proved much simpler to make the namespace as restrictive as possible
unless "-D_HPUX_SOURCE" is specified.  While this has turned into one the
most frequently asked of FAQ's about HP-UX, at least once you learn this,
you don't have to deal with inconsistencies again.  Whereas, had we allowed
all non-standard headers to define all non-standard symbols, you'd find
identifiers randomly "disappearing" from headers over time as they were
claimed by various standards.

Also check the man page for "cc -Ae"; it enables the the HPUX_SOURCE
namespace.

(Thanks to Marc Sabatella, HP)