Re: LYNX-DEV http:--add-url.altavista.digital.com-cgi-bin-newurl?q=http:

From: Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV http:--add-url.altavista.digital.com-cgi-bin-newurl?q=http:--www.flora.org-lynx-dev-html-
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 09:20:53 -0500 (EST)

(Follow up to my earlier post)
On Sat, 15 Feb 1997, Webmaster Jim wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Feb 1997, Al Gilman wrote:
> >                         URL submission to AltaVista
> >                    [1]http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/

I read a glowing article on Digital's LiveTopics refinement to their
Altavista engine.  I've tried it with Lynx and Netscape-XWindows.  It does
present a quicker way to refine your search by presenting additional
keywords to include or exclude.  I'm going to look at it some more under
Lynx to find some possible ways to improve our access to their index.

I suspect that Digital has pruned their catalog in order to roll out this
beta program.  Under Netscape, for instance, I can't see the submit button
unless I make my window about 1000 dots wide...

They also seem to have improved their Lynx access by adding a text mode
that eliminates the pop-up menus and only presents buttons.

------

;
;