Re: LYNX-DEV: Add to manual?: hand-hacked bookmark-files

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV: Add to manual?: hand-hacked bookmark-files
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 09:42:32 -0800

Likely, this Fote-response should be added to the manual:

> From address@hidden Fri Feb 14 16:33:54 1997
> Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 18:45:51 -0500 (EST)
> From: Foteos Macrides <address@hidden>
>
>       The bookmark files created by Lynx are not valid HTML.  They
> can be rendered as if they were, but will not validate.  When adding
> bookmarks, a new LI is added at the bottom, and the UL block is not closed.
> The files are not parsed by an SGML parser when removing bookmarks,
> but are scanned by an ad hoc parser.  You can edit them in the sense
> of deleting LI lines, rerordering them, or adding ones yourself IF the
> spacing and casing are identical to ones created by Lynx.
>
>       If you add your own markup to the bookmark files, it may or
> may not screw up Lynx's ad hoc parser.  If you're not capable of
> interpreting C code and figuring out what will or will not screw up
> the ad hoc parser, you are ill advised to hand edit the bookmark files.

The hacks I made were to add lines for "subject areas", each one
containing two colons "::", nicely lynx-searchable and egreppable.

Maybe not so needed now with multiple bookmark files, but nonetheless
hand-hacks of this type are sometimes useful.  Thus the need
for Fote's comments above to be in the manual.

Perhaps (in future versions) some SIMPLE checking can be done
in parsing this file, eg balanced <A>, </A>.

---

Still would be nice to know of (and put in help screen)
addr of emailable validation site, for those who are
working LOCALLY on html page for someone else, who will
when that page is finished (correctly), will ONLY THEN put
it up on accessible www-site.
;
;