Re: LYNX-DEV: Even bookmark-files need validation

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV: Even bookmark-files need validation
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 20:14:32 -0500 (EST)

> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 15:46:19 -0700
> From: address@hidden (Scott McGee (Personal))
>
> address@hidden (David Combs) writes:
> >
> >QUESTION: how to validate a file that is only LOCAL --
> >   that is, for which I cannot give an address
> >   for to a validation service (eg the two listed
> >   at lynx Help).
> >
> >Are there any sites I can EMAIL an html file to?
>

> I don't know about email, but if you happen to connect using a PC, or just
> have access to one, you could use webber (the HTML editor) to validate local
> files. Seems like, if you are on the unix box itself, that there should be
> other possibilities, such as weblint or such.
>
> Scott

I asked this same question a while ago and someone (I can'at remember
who) suggested downloading htmlchek.  I still have the following ref in
my bookmark file:
<LI><a href="http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~churchh/htmlchek.html";>htmlchek HTML
syntax and cross-reference checker version 4.1, February 20 1995 -- menu</a>

These are awk and perl scripts that validate html.  (Obviously they're a
little old and not as fancy as webtechs.)
I downloaded and installed htmlchek in my home bin.

I also managed to validate a file using webtechs by posting
the file in $HOME/public_html/file.html and specifying the url
http://www.voicenet.com/~leaves/file.html.
It worked.  (It didn't work when file.html was in my home dir.  It
has to be in $HOME/public_html/.)

Hope that helps.
--le
;