Re: LYNX-DEV: Even bookmark-files need validation

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV: Even bookmark-files need validation
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 17:50:27 -0500 (EST)

"Hiram Lester, Jr." <address@hidden> wrote:
>On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Jason Baker wrote:
>
>> I've found Lynx /somewhat/ forgiving on this, actually - I managed to
>> share my Mosaic hotlist (complete with Right Button Menu tagging)
>> without any problems, so long as I don't delete or add while in Lynx.
>>
>> If I do that, I lose the multiple levels of indents. :(
>
>Actually, the Mosaic hotlist is a special case.  I remember when I was
>poking around the lynx code in the bookmark stuff, there is a section that
>is there specifically to convert a Mosaic hotlist into a psuedo-bookmark
>file for Lynx.  I would imagine this code was added in Lynx's early
>days when Mosaic was still hot stuff... :)  I suppose it would be possible
>to do something similar for Netscape's bookmark file although it's
>basically HTML already...

        I tried to keep the original Mosaic hotlist handling functional
in the multiple bookfile file support, though it's "theoretical" in that
I didn't have any of those original hotlist format files around for
emperical testing.  If successful, you should be able to 'a'dd and
'r'emove links in them just as for Lynx bookmark files.

        I thought Jason was using "hotlist" loosely, in reference to
the current Mosiac's HTML-style "bookmark thingies".  Those are similar
to Lynx's format, but that confuses the ad hoc parser, and if you try
to 'a'dd or 'r'emove with those, you're likely to trash them.  You can
read them, of course, because that's just a matter of rendering what's
in them, as for any file.

                                Fote