Re: LYNX-DEV Win32 Lynx

From: Wayne Buttles
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Win32 Lynx
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 22:00:40 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 16 Feb 1997, Scott McGee (Personal) wrote:

> Way to go! I downloaded and tried out Lynx on my W95 laptop, and it works
> pretty good. I still need to tweek it a bit to be able to view images and
> such,
> and I haven't gotten localhost or file access to work. If you have any clues
> on those, I'd like to here them.

Local file access is a hack-a-like to what I found worked in netscape,
mosaic, explorer...  It still needs some work *sigh* I forgot to add the
part about root directories so I will put that part in someday soon.
Anyhow, it goes like this:

The localhost is optional, BUT the slash isn't so the following are equal:

file://localhost/d:/autoexec.bat
file:///d:/autoexec.bat

If you want to browse a directory, just make sure there is no trailing
slash (another oops on my part, but I really didn't do much custom work,
just porting).

file:///d:/dos

You can actually browse the root directory right now by using the foo
hack:

file:///d:/foo/..

I am sure there are other "tricks" to getting what you want.  I am not
real used to lynx's guessing of what file it thought I wanted so if that
feature was real key for you then you might be a bit dissapointed at least
for now.

Wayne

;
;