LYNX-DEV Lynx 2-7 WWW_HOME as Bookmark not working

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2-7 WWW_HOME as Bookmark not working
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 10:50:51 -0800 (PST)

The recognition of a bookmark file as the startfile, indicated by the
Environment variable WWW_HOME is not working in the release version of
2.7.  Similar to earlier development code, the Remove Links command
doesn't do anything but repaint the page when invoked on the mainpage.
If the same page is accessed by the 'v' command from another page, then
the 'R' command works fine.  This wasn't a problem before multiple
bookmarks were added to the code and bookmarks were required to be
relative to $HOME, rather than absolute paths.

The workaround for now seems evident (invoke lynx as lynx -book), but
there are going to be a number of puzzled users calling when I replace
2.6 with 2.7 as the default lynx version.  If the code can be modified
to recognize that the startfile is really also the bookmark file, this
would be easier on users.

I am using the 2/15/97 release source code, compiled with gcc on a
machine running SunOS 4.1.3_U1.  The following are the first few lines
of the bookmark file that wasn't recognized as such when also the
startfile (initial ">" not in the file).

><head>
><title>Bookmark file</title>
></head>
><pre>
>
>     You can delete links using the new remove bookmark command.
>     It is usually the 'R' key but may have been remapped by you or
>     your system administrator.<br>
>     This file may also be edited with a standard text editor.
>     Outdated or invalid links may be removed by simply deleting
>     the line the link appears on in this file.
>     Please refer to the Lynx documentation or help files
>     for the HTML link syntax.
><PRE>
>
><LI><A HREF="http://www.w3.org/";>WWW</A>

                         Doug