Re: LYNX-DEV post-2.7 ?

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV post-2.7 ?
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 05:53:54 -0500 (EST)

> > Jim Spath & I are working on a configure script that will (presumably) be
> > incorporated into 2.8 (3.0?) - I'm near to having a first version that can
> > be
> > tested by other developers.  Who should I be talking to (e.g., FM or RP)?
>
> 1) Could we give it a try with 2.7?  Just post the script, uuencoded or not,
> or put it up (or have someone with space put it up) on the web.  A brief
> `walk-me-through' on how to use it and get the necessary tools would be good
> (Jim ?).
I've a patch to 2.7, which supplies the input files used by autoconf (2.12).
Along with autoconf version 2.12, you need gnu m4 version 1.4 (because of the
large redirections).  I also use patch 2.1; I get all from
        prep.ai.mit.edu:/pub/gnu

Currently, I've 2 patches (one for color, one for auto-configure).  I've
integrated some (but not all) of Jim's stuff.
        lynx2-7-970217-auto.patch.gz
        lynx2-7-970217-color.patch.gz

I made a short page summarizing this stuff (though not a walkthru - yet -
I'll expand according to the questions I have to answer):

        + I apply my color patch first (cd to lynx2-7, run "patch -p1").
          (I snapshot at this point, since most of the activity is in the
          auto-config patch).  There should be no conflicts, but the line
          numbers will change according to whether you've applied this one
          or not.

        + then I apply the auto-configure patch (same way, using the "-p1"
          option of patch).

        + Run autoconf (has to be installed).  It generates a file 'configure',
          which is bigger than the patch.

        + Run the configure script.  "configure --help" lists the options.
          Right now the only interesting options are

                configure               (defaults to curses)
                configure --with-screen=ncurses
                configure --with-screen=slang

        + Run the make.  The script generates "makefile" (chosen to not
          overwrite "Makefile" -- until the script is complete we need to
          build either way).  I've left most of the targets intact (will do
          until they've been merged).  So I'll do

                make linux                      or
                make solaris                    etc.

          There's only one target for each of the platforms I've set up.
          Ultimately all of the platform-targets will be merged.

> 2) Were you able to handle the `#RESOLVLIB= -lresolv' problem on suns?  In
yes/no.  I had existing logic in my configre script for tin, that I used
here, but the machines that lynx notes needed it don't need that for me.
I also have to refine one of the tests for IRIX (it builds but doesn't
connect).  However, I've made workable versions for Linux, SunOS, Solaris,
HP-UX, AIX, and Jim's done FreeBSD, NetBSD.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden