Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx -auth=id:passwd question

From: Tom Zerucha
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx -auth=id:passwd question
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 11:29:37 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, CHAN Man-Chung wrote:

> Hello Everybody,
>
> I have a question about the command line option "-auth=id:passwd" of
> Lynx 2.5 as follow:
>
> How can I hide the id and password on the output of Unix command "ps
> -ef"? I've tried to stored this option with startup URL in a file and
> then "cat" it as a pipe to Lynx as "cat filename | lynx -" but it didn't
> work. It just load the default homepage. Does anyone can solve this
> problem? Can I save this option as a envinoment variable that Lynx will
> read it automatically?

The new 2.7 has a "lynx -" so you could have "-auth=id:pw" in a file, and
do "lynx - <lynxopts" and it should work, but doesn't seem to on my
version.  'echo "-trace -auth=U:P http://x.y.z"; | lynx "-"' gives a
complaint about REMOTE mode, not able to open tty and goes to my default
home page. lynx -auth...x.y.z works and echo "-auth...x.y.z" | lynx "-"
does not.

If the above doesn't work, there is no direct way to do this.  I know some
Unixes have a way of changing what is viewable by ps, but I haven't tried
with linux, and it probably wouldn't be portable.

(I asked for this feature a long time ago.  It is one of the things I
incorporated in oversimplified form into my upget CLI browser, in fact,
"u-p-get" is short for user-password-get.  It uses a .upgetpwdb and checks
the site, though it should check the realm).

address@hidden
finger address@hidden for PGP key

;
;