LYNX-DEV Lynx distribution formats

From: Subir Grewal
Subject: LYNX-DEV Lynx distribution formats
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 11:41:06 -0800 (PST)

As to whether Lynx should be distributed in some format other than .zip

Here's the current list of distribution sites on:

        http://www.crl.com/~subir/lynx/sources.html

     * http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/fote/ (2.7)
     * ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pub/unix/network/www/lynx/ (2.7)
     * ftp://ftp2.cc.ukans.edu/pub/lynx/
     * ftp://ftp.more.net/pub/mirrors/lynx/readme.html
     * http://sailor.lib.md.us/software/
     * http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/wlynx/ (2.7 for Win32/Win95)

ftp2.cc.ukans.edu, ftp.more.net and sailor.md.us are not yet carrying
Lynx2-7.  Both Michael Grobe and David Drum back wrote when I sent them
mail about the new release and were pleased with the news.  I would expect
Lynx2-7 to appear on those sites this week.  ftp2.cc.ukans.edu generally
carries Lynx in a variety of formats and tends to be the major US
distribution point.  When UKans starts mirroring 2.7 it goes back to the
top of my list (where it generally is).

If you want a .tar.gz, a .tar.Z or just about anything else, you should
try ftp.fu-berlin.de where they're running a pretty funky ftp server which
will make up a package of your choice for you on the fly.  The ftp admin
there wants to mirror developmental code as well.  Since we don't have a
Europe mirror anymore this would be a good idea anyway.  I'm waiting till
we have some consensus on how the new Lynx effort is going to be
coordinated before getting back to him with a site to mirror.

address@hidden  +  Lynx 2.7  +  PGP  +  http://www.crl.com/~subir/
Matter cannot be created or destroyed, nor can it be returned without a
receipt.

;
;