Zip and tar.gz distrib. (Was: LYNX-DEV post-2.7 ?)

From: Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)
Subject: Zip and tar.gz distrib. (Was: LYNX-DEV post-2.7 ?)
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 18:46:53 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Marc Baudoin wrote:
> Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim) <address@hidden> écrit :
> > > By the way, why not distribute Lynx with the more standard .tar.gz format?
> > *) Fote packages up his mods with zip.
> > *) Many packages ship with tar.gz and/or .zip
> > *) Anyone is welcome to unzip Fote's mods and tar.gz them for
> >    redistribution.
> What we need to do is find someone to do that.  Fote tells him to do it
> each time a new version is available.  I can do it if you agree (I have
> unzip, tar and gzip on my system).

Subir has posted a fuller comment about Lynx distribution in a
variety of formats and places.  More distributors are good.

> > *) _I_ like zip/unzip better, myself, personally.  It is more available
> >    under DOS/Win, for instance.
> I thought Lynx worked on UNIX and VMS so why bother with MS-DOG/windoze
> file formats?

Fote's recent comment about the increasing number of PCs on the net
is food for thought.  Lynx has been ported by several folks to
DOS and Windows platforms (see lynx.browser.org home page).  Zip
is not a MS-DOS file format only (see the Info-Zip home page at
http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/):

   Info-ZIP supports hardware from microcomputers all the way up to Cray
   supercomputers, running on almost all versions of Unix, VMS, OS/2,
   MS-DOS, Windows NT/95 (a.k.a. Win32), AmigaDOS, Atari TOS, MacOS,
   BeOS, Acorn RISC OS, SMS/QDOS, VM/CMS, MVS and Human68K (Japanese).
   There is also some support for TOPS-20, AOS/VS and Novell NLMs, and a
   full Windows graphical interface is available for UnZip (soon for Zip
   as well). Tandem, VMOS and VxWorks ports may or may not be underway...

------

;
;